National Assembly Majority Dispute Settlement
The 13th National Assembly’s first session
The National Assembly Majority Dispute was inevitably the major discussion of this first sitting after the first Parliamentary sitting was officially opened by President William Ruto.
Each party brought on board to the National Speaker Mr.Moses Assembly with the Azimio la Umoja Arguing that they had the majority chosen Member of Parliament.
The whip came when other parties divorced the party and moved to the Kenya Kwaza after the Announcement of the results. The National Assembly Speaker Mr. Moses Wetangula then dismissed their claim via the document given to him with initials/unsigned blanks from Azimio Party and which was reformed by Junet Mohamed.
This has led the party to only get the slot of minority leader.
The Senet majority leader seat was then given to the Kericho Senator Harron Cheruiyot and deputized by Tabitha Karanja Nakurur senator. Amason Kingi the Senator speaker confirmed Kakamega Senator Boniface Khalwale as the Senator Majority whip to be deputized by the Samburu senator Tumbesi Lelegewe.
The Minority Leader was then given to the Azimio la Umoja. The majority leader was given by Kilifi Senator Stewart Madzayo and will be Deputized by Kitui Senator Enock Wambua.
Isiolo Fatum Madulo will be the minority whip leader.
National Assembly Committees
House Keeping committees
- House Business Committee: creates Parliamentary calendar; schedules committee business; issues directives and guidelines to prioritize or postpone any business of the House.
- Procedure & House Rules Committee: proposes rules for the orderly and effective conduct of committee business.
- Liaison Committee: guides and coordinates the operations, policies, and mandates of all committees.
- Committee on Selection: nominates members to serve in committees.
- Committee on Members Services & Facilities.
- Public Accounts Committee: responsible for the examination of the accounts showing the appropriations of the sum voted by the House to meet the public expenditure and of such other accounts
- Public Investments Committee: examines the reports and accounts of public investments
Special Funds Accounts Committee: examines the reports and accounts of national Funds except for the National Governments Constituency Development Fund (NGCDF)
- Defence and Foreign Relations Committee: Defence, intelligence, foreign relations diplomatic and consular services, international boundaries, international relations, agreements, treaties, and conventions
- Administration and National Security Committee: National security, police services, home affairs, public administration, public service, prisons, immigration and the management of natural disasters, community service orders
- Agriculture & Livestock Committee: Agriculture, livestock, irrigation, fisheries development, co-operatives development, production, and marketing
- Environment and Natural Resources Committee: Matters relating to climate change, environmental management and conservation, forestry, water resource management, wildlife, mining, and natural resources, pollution, and waste management
- Education & Research Committee: Education, training, research, and technological advancement
- Energy Committee: Fossil fuels exploration, Development, production, maintenance, and regulation of energy, communication, information, broadcasting, and Information Communications Technology (ICT) development and management
- Finance and Planning: Public finance, monetary policies, public debt, financial institutions, investment and divestiture policies, pricing policies, banking, insurance, population, revenue policies, planning, national development, trade, tourism promotion and management, commerce and industry
- Health Committee: Matters related to health, medical care, and health insurance
- Justice and Legal Affairs Committee: Constitutional affairs, the administration of law and justice, including the Judiciary, public prosecutions, elections, ethics, integrity and anti-corruption, and human rights
- Labour and Social Welfare Committee: Labour, trade union relations, manpower or human resource planning, gender, culture and social welfare, youth, National Youth Service children’s welfare; national heritage, betting, lotteries, and sports
- Lands Committee: Matters related to lands and settlement
- Transport, Public Works, and Housing Committee: Transport, roads, public works, construction and maintenance of roads, rails and buildings, air, seaports, and housing
- Trade, Industry and Cooperatives Committee
- Communication, Information and Innovation Committee
Other Select committees:
- Budget and Appropriations Committee: investigates, inquires into and reports on all matters related to coordination, control, and monitoring of the national budget; examines the Budget Policy Statement; examines bills related to the national budget, specifically the Appropriations Bill, the Supplementary Appropriation Bill, the Division of Revenue Bill and the County Allocation of Revenue Bill
- Committee on Implementation: responsible for scrutinizing the resolutions of the House (including adopted committee reports), petitions, and the undertakings given by the National Executive
- Committee on Delegated Legislation: delegates on statutory instruments submitted to the Assembly
- Committee on Regional Integration: examine the records of all the relevant debates and resolutions of the meetings of the East African Legislative Assembly; inquires into and examines any other matter relating to regional integration generally requiring action by the House
- Committee on Appointments:
- National Government Constituency Development Fund Committee
- Constitution Implementation Oversight Committee
- Pensions Committee
- Committee on National Cohesion and Equal Opportunity
- Parliamentary Broadcasting and Library Committee